Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Everyone loves the ease and versatility of a long ponytail hairstyle. Ponytails have always been a prominent feature in the Black hairstyle’s arena. This is an elegant example of what long hairstyles for Black women are evolving into today. Carla Harris, a professional hairstylist from Ms. Carla’s Unique Hair Designs in Columbia, SC created this extended ponytail with bold silver and gray braid down the ponytail.
Carla also gave her model a precision haircut with tapered sides to create an edgy look. W asked Carla to give our viewers a few professional tips to make your long ponytails stand out.
Extended Long Ponytails for Black Women
This long multi-colored ponytail was created on relaxed hair for a more sculpted look. Carla used 100% human hair additions to create the ponytail. Human hair lasts longer than synthetic hair additions. Human hair can be curled also. Ponytails can be a great protective hairstyle also. Carla used a cap to form a barrier between the model’s hair and the hair additions. Before Carla created the ponytail, she gave her model a deep cleansing shampoo and conditioner to remove debris from the hair and infuse moisture.
3 Secrets to Long Ponytails for Black Women
Professional hairstylist Carla Harris gave us a few tips that she uses to give her long ponytail hairstyles a more polished look. Here they are:
01. Use Finishing Products Like Edge Control and Light Gels
Finishing products like edge controls and light gels are used to create a smooth hairline. Make sure you use a gel that is silicone-based so that you don’t weigh down your hair. These products are used to create a smooth hairline around the hair. Together they will ensure your ponytail will have a polished look.
02. Use Human Hair Additions to Create a Longer Lasting, More Versatile Hairstyle
Human hair additions will give you more options when creating long ponytail hairstyles for Black women. Human hair gives you the ability to curl the hair additions. You should avoid using heat on synthetic hair additions. Human hair additions tend to last longer than synthetic hair also.
03. Don’t Leave Your Hair Up For More Than Two Weeks
Leaving your hair in an updo hairstyle for a prolonged period could be a bad idea. If your hair stays up for over two weeks continuously, you could see issues with tangling, matting, and even hair loss.
Taking Care of Long Ponytails for Black Women at Home
Carla Harris made sure her model would have an easy time taking care of her long ponytail at home. Carla suggests her model use a mesh wrap to lay down the sides and a silk or satin bonnet to protect the rest of the hairstyle. That’s it, keeping your hair tied down at night helps long ponytails for Black women keep their shape. Carla says you could also use a silicone-based gloss over the hair for shine as needed.
3 Secrets to Long Ponytails for Black Women You Never Knew
- Use Finishing Products Like Edge Control and Light Gels
Finishing products like edge controls and light gels are used to create a smooth hairline.
- Use Human Hair Additions to Create a Longer Lasting, More Versatile Hairstyle
Human hair gives you the ability to curl the hair additions.
- Don’t Leave Your Hair Up For More Than Two Weeks
If your hair stays up for over two weeks continuously, you could see issues with tangling, matting, and even hair loss.
- Creating A Sleek Braided Ponytail: Expert InterviewThis sleek braided ponytail is the epitome of fun and fashion combined. The look features an intricate braiding technique and accent jewels.
- How To Make Your Sleek Ponytail Look Like A Million BucksSleek ponytail hairstyles are admired for their simplicity. You could make some major mistakes though. We asked the pros for advice.
- 3 Secrets to Long Ponytails for Black Women You Never KnewLong ponytail hairstyles are always in demand. Our editors give you 3 secrets for better long ponytails for Black women.
- Apply These 9 Secret Techniques To Improve Your Side Part Sleek PonytailSide part sleek ponytails are in high demand. That’s because of their easy maintenance and versatility. Long ponytails are always fun.
- This Triple Ponytail Updo Hairstyle Will Take Your Breath AwayThis fierce updo hairstyle features three ponytails connected together. Hair additions were used in the top for length. The ponytails are weaved together.
- Deep Side Part Ponytail Hairstyle from Tish Summers in Fayetteville, NCThere are events that we all go to where it’s not enough to just look beautiful, we need to be the focal point of the evening. You will surely achieve that goal with this elegant deep side part ponytail hairstyle. This look features 30-inch hair additions with soft, fun curls at the ends. The sleek …
- Long High Ponytail with Highlights from Nivi Grimball in Charleston, SCThere is nothing as fun and flirty as a well coifed ponytail. This long high ponytail was created by Nivi Grimball from Samiyah’s Hair Salon in Charleston.
- Fantastic Long Curly Ponytail Hairstyle from Carla Harris in Columbia, SCColumbia, SC hairstylist Carla Harris created this beautiful long curly ponytail hairstyle. This curly ponytail was created using human hair extensions.
- Curly Lace Wig Ponytail for Black Women from Denise GranberryThis curly lace wig ponytail for black women is another trendsetting creation from Denise Granberry from Global Tresses Virgin Hair in Fayetteville, NC. Black women have always been at the forefront of trendsetting fashion techniques. The ability of black women to move the fashion needle is especially prevalent in the hair industry. Recently, fashion has …