Sleek ponytail hairstyles are one of the most popular fashion trends in the black hairstyles niche today. We love them for their simplicity and their protective qualities. When they are appropriately created, sleek ponytail hairstyles give the impression of a care-free lifestyle with hair that happens to fall flawlessly. The truth is that the perfect sleek ponytail must be carefully designed with factors like your facial features, hair texture, and length is taken into consideration. We asked Corey Paul, one of Black America’s premiere hairstylists and salon owners, to give us some tips on creating a sleek ponytail hairstyle with that million-dollar look. Corey says that the perfect ponytail boils down to three things, preparation, technique, and the right finishing touches.
Set the Foundation for a Million Dollar Sleek Ponytail
Corey suggests having a professional do a thorough consultation of your hair to determine the right course of action to create your look. Everyone’s hair is different—our length, our texture, and most importantly, the health of our hair. To make the perfect sleek ponytail for you, all of these factors must be taken into account. This is why the consultation is so important.
Give Your Hair the Nutrients It Needs First
After the consultation, Corey says you need to prepare your hair for the type of style you want. To get this model ready for her sleek ponytail, Corey gave her a deep cleansing shampoo and conditioner, and then he used a blow dryer on her hair. The shampoo and conditioner infused moisture and nutrients into the model’s hair to keep the hair healthy while wearing the ponytail.
Perfect Sleek Ponytail Techniques
One of the first things Corey Paul did to begin this sleek ponytail hairstyle was to silk press his model’s hair. He used a silk press technique so that the model’s hair would match the hair additions he would later use. Silk presses resemble relaxed hair without the need for harsh chemicals. With the model’s hair perfectly straight, Corey pulled her hair back and incorporated it into the ponytail.
Double Braiding Technique Incorporates Your Hair Into the Additions
Corey used a double braiding technique to create a more intricate ponytail. He pulled the model’s hair back and created two separate ponytails using both the model’s hair and hair additions. Once the ponytails were created, Corey braided them together for a more detailed look. The finished result is a fascinating sleek ponytail hairstyle that will look great at any formal event.
Adding the Perfect Finishing Touches
Once the sleek ponytail has been created, the next job was to ensure the hair stayed just where Corey wanted it. The one thing you DON’T want to do is allow something like fly-aways and frizzies to ruin your perfect look. Corey recommends using hairspray to keep this hairstyle perfectly in place.
Introducing Corey Paul from Corey Paul’s Hair Studio in Winston-Salem, NC
Corey Paul is a professional hairstylist and educator at Corey Paul’s Hair Studio, 636 Hanes Mall Blvd. in Winston-Salem, NC. He has earned a reputation for creating some of the most innovative looks in the black hairstyles industry also. His advanced training seminars are often sold out nationwide. When you are in the market for something elegant yet carefree like the sleek ponytail hairstyle seen in these images, give Corey a call at (336) 765-9007 or stop by the salon to set up your appointment.
- How To Make Your Sleek Ponytail Look Like A Million BucksSleek ponytail hairstyles are admired for their simplicity. You could make some major mistakes though. We asked the pros for advice.
- 3 Secrets to Long Ponytails for Black Women You Never KnewLong ponytail hairstyles are always in demand. Our editors give you 3 secrets for better long ponytails for Black women.
- Apply These 9 Secret Techniques To Improve Your Side Part Sleek PonytailSide part sleek ponytails are in high demand. That’s because of their easy maintenance and versatility. Long ponytails are always fun.
- This Triple Ponytail Updo Hairstyle Will Take Your Breath AwayThis fierce updo hairstyle features three ponytails connected together. Hair additions were used in the top for length. The ponytails are weaved together.
- Deep Side Part Ponytail Hairstyle from Tish Summers in Fayetteville, NCThere are events that we all go to where it’s not enough to just look beautiful, we need to be the focal point of the evening. You will surely achieve that goal with this elegant deep side part ponytail hairstyle. This look features 30-inch hair additions with soft, fun curls at the ends. The sleek …
- Long High Ponytail with Highlights from Nivi Grimball in Charleston, SCThere is nothing as fun and flirty as a well coifed ponytail. This long high ponytail was created by Nivi Grimball from Samiyah’s Hair Salon in Charleston.
- Fantastic Long Curly Ponytail Hairstyle from Carla Harris in Columbia, SCColumbia, SC hairstylist Carla Harris created this beautiful long curly ponytail hairstyle. This curly ponytail was created using human hair extensions.
- Curly Lace Wig Ponytail for Black Women from Denise GranberryThis curly lace wig ponytail for black women is another trendsetting creation from Denise Granberry from Global Tresses Virgin Hair in Fayetteville, NC. Black women have always been at the forefront of trendsetting fashion techniques. The ability of black women to move the fashion needle is especially prevalent in the hair industry. Recently, fashion has …
- Long Ponytail Using Interlocking Locs Method from Tish SummersFayetteville hairstylist Tish Summers created this long ponytail using an interlocking locs method. Tish also added jewelry pieces for accents.