Welcome to the new age where women are killing the game and wearing many hats while doing so. Shoutout to the moms who balance personal goals, careers, friendships, relationships, and most importantly home life. It is not easy, but we sure do make it look good. And if you are smart you do not make it harder on yourself by any means. Moms are great at creating shortcuts. It gives them a little more time to dedicate to other areas that may need attention. That is why protective hairstyles for kids are just as coveted as a thirty-minute meal.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Protective Hairstyles for Kids Aid in Growth
As you explore this site you will see an array of protective hairstyles for kids. Some of those styles may have come to mind while reading this article. The key to remember is that every style is not meant for kids. That is what our stylist Ashley Sellers from Wave Links Hair Studio Inc. in Fayetteville, NC was able to create! A style that protects the hair but stays true to the youth of our beautiful model. We want to keep our kids in their appropriate age group for as long as possible. They are not the same babies that used to wear cute ponytails with colorful barrettes on the end.
Feed-In Cornrow Pulled Into a Bun
As shown, you will see an easy feed-in cornrow updo hairstyle that is pulled into a ninja bun. To add a little POP of unicorn color our stylist incorporated colorful yarn. Ashley simply wrapped it around the ends of her model’s braids. Keep in mind the goal is to keep the look youthful. There is nothing wrong with having a little fun with your style. It is not a permanent color, so it allows your teens and preteens to still have fun. They can express themselves with whatever color suits their mood. They can change when it is time to move on to the next trend.
That is the beauty of being able to add hair in. You do not have to battle with what is age-appropriate and what is not. You can still allow room for your child’s independence, but still, make sure it does not get out of hand. The styling varieties feed-in braids give you is one of the major reasons these protective hairstyles for kids are so popular. After all, it is being done on your dime so let’s make sure all parties are happy and satisfied with the end results.
Easy to Manage Protective Hairstyles for Kids
To achieve this look is simple and does not take a lot of time at all. In fact, our beautiful model, T’Arjahe, is the daughter of stylist Ashley, and she was able to accomplish this style at home in a matter of two hours or less. The simplicity of these protective hairstyles for kids makes them so attractive to parents. For starters, we all know that a good- and fresh-looking style starts with good shampooing and conditioning. Since Ashley was going for a cornrowed style, she went in with the blow dryer to stretch the hair a little, because…shrinkage. Need I say more?
It is not necessary to go bone straight so once the hair was at the desired dryness and stretched enough it was then time to start the styling. Since the natural hair is going to be braided it is important to apply natural oils for moisture and shine. Wrapping foam is also used to help with the styling and the fresh look that is shown. Starting a cornrow and then adding hair along the way is what we like to call a feed-in braid, and that is what Ashley Sellers achieved throughout our model’s hair. Sometimes teens can get a little bored with a straight back or upward braids, so the sides and front were parted slightly different to add a little personality.
Taking Care of This Protective Hairstyle for Kids at Home
Yes, moms, this style is VERY low maintenance. In fact, for about 4 to 6 weeks all you have to worry about is oiling of the scalp which is easy to do by applying your favorite oils along the scalp, which is already exposed. You are even able to take the ninja bun down and apply oils to the inside of the bun and rewrap it as well. And at night all you must do is simply wrap it with a bonnet or scarf. And you can never ever go wrong with a silk pillowcase.
Ladies, if you have not caught on by now go and invest in a silk pillowcase. It is literally a lifesaver. Especially for those of us that tend to have bonnets that like to go for field trips while we are asleep. Think of the pillowcase as an extra layer of protection, because let’s be real who has time to keep chasing their bonnet all night long when sis clearly wants to explore?
Introducing Ashley Sellers from Wave Links Hair Studio in Faytteville, NC
Now do not pull your hair out because you are stressing over not being able to recreate these protective hairstyles for kids. Ashley is located at 5114 Yadkin Road Ste 136 in Fayetteville NC. If you are a parent of a teen, you know edges are very important! Ashley not only takes care of all-natural hair care needs but she is able to give your child a fresh and lasting style and create those swoop edges that we love so much now. The look is NOT complete without it.
Did we mention the low tension? Protective styles are meant for protection not causing more damage from being too tight. Or worse, having the results that are so painful that it is taken down well before its intended time. Ashley cares for more than the look but she cares about the feel of the style as well as the lasting effects that will keep you coming back for more.
- This Is the Best Layered Bob Black Hairstyle You’ll See This YearLayered bobs are timelesse. This layered bob black hairstyle was created by Deirdre Clay from Wave Links Hair Studio in Fayetteville, NC.
- Check Out This Fierce Clipper Cut Hairstyle With Grey Hair ColorThis very short clipper cut hairstyle features a triple-color process with grey in the top. The look has a design part around the base.
- Protective Hairstyles for Kids? It’s Easy if You Do It SmartHere are some creative ways to make protective hairstyles for kids fun and attractive. Colors and versatility topped the list.
- Stunning Short Pixie Cut for Black Women: This Is What Professionals DoThis short pixie cut for black women is in high demand because of its versatility and style. It is the perfect summer hairstyle.
- Kid’s Knotless Box Braids With Beads Hairstyle Your Child Will LoveYour child will love this kid’s knotless box braids with beads hairstyle. The kids love the beads and moms love the versatility.
- Knowing These 6 Secrets Will Make Your Lace Frontal Wig Look AmazingThe secrets that make this lace frontal wig look amazing are easy to create. We got useful tips from a professional hairstylist.
- Omg! The Best Long Knotless Box Braids Hairstyle for 2021!Long knotless box braids are a great way to protect your hair from your daily environment inside of a great new look.
- You’ll Fall in Love With This Asymmetrical Bob With BangsThis asymmetrical bob with bangs hairstyle features a bold haircut with layers and a custom hair color. The hairstyle is textured throughout.
- One of the Best Natural Hair Color Ideas for African American WomenThis long curly look is one of the hottest natural hair color ideas for African American women. This hairstyle features a custom color.