One of the main reasons today’s Black community is flocking to a locks lifestyle is the phenomenal hair growth you can achieve by wearing locks. Notice that we didn’t say anything about just a locks hairstyle, we said locks “lifestyle’. That’s because a locks journey takes time and is about more than the appearance of your hair. When done correctly, Black men and women have seen many inches of hair growth in a relatively short period of time. We asked one of the leading experts in the natural hair and locks hairstyles industry, Tish Summers from Shear Diva Designz in Fayetteville, NC, to give us some inside information on the techniques she uses to help her clients improve their locks updo hairstyle.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Beautiful locks updo hairstyles are gaining in popularity thanks to superstars like Chloe x Halle. Their stunning fashion sense is blazing runways across the nation. The first thing that Tish is going to do for any new client is to give them an in-depth consultation about the health of their hair. Tish also uses this time to give prospective clients a general idea of what to expect after transitioning to their locks journey.
Secret Number 1: Have a Moisturizing Program in Place
The model in the images came to Tish about 6 months before these pictures were taken. When she first arrived, the model had some damage as a result of wearing a hair color for an extended period of time without proper maintenance. Tish corrected the situation with the first secret technique to a strong locks updo hairstyle. Before starting the process, Tish reconstructed the model’s locks with a moisturizing and reconditioning program. Proper hydration is essential for healthy hair growth. The program Tish instituted for her model created a solid foundation that Tish could use to create this stunning updo. It involved using leave-in conditioners as well as a deep conditioning shampoo treatment.
Secret #2: Give Your Hair Time to Get Thick at the Root Before You Re-Twist the Hair
After Tish gave her model an intensive moisturizing treatment, she started to actually reconstruct the locks. Since the model’s hair had been previously damaged from the earlier hair color, Tish extended the timeline to retwist the model’s hair to every 45 days rather than every month. This was done to give the model’s hair time to grow thick at the roots. Allowing the locks to grow stronger during this time will give you full locks when you do the re-twist. Full locks are essential for a healthy locks updo hairstyle.
Secret #3: Use A Combination of Locks Techniques in Your Locks Updo Hairstyle
The locks updo hairstyle featured in these images were created using a combination of different locks techniques. Using different lock techniques in your updo will give you more versatility while wearing the locks. Tish Summers, the professional hairstylist that created this locks updo hairstyle used three different techniques to create this look. This 3-in-1 hairstyle features re-twists, two-strand twists, and an inverted, or fishtail braid. The varied techniques give you the ability to sport different styles. The different techniques combine to allow your twists to form and stay locked.
Secret #4: Stay Away from Cotton and Use Argon Oils and a Silk Wrap
One thing that Tish is adamant about with all of her locks clients is to keep your hair away from cotton. Cotton is dangerous to a locks updo hairstyle for a number of reasons. First, cotton will leave debris in the hair. Next, cotton draws moisture out of your hair. As we mentioned earlier, moisture is very important for your hair. Cotton pulls moisture out of your hair and it leaves tiny particles in your hair that detract from a clean and polished look. Tish Summers from Shear Diva Designz in Fayetteville, NC recommends using an Argon oil with a silk wrap at night to lock in the moisture and protect your locks updo hairstyle from residue buildup.
Secret #5: Utilize the Services of a Professional Hairstylist Like Tish Summers from Shear Diva Designz in Fayetteville, NC
The essential secret technique to improving your locks updo hairstyle is finding yourself the perfect locks professional. The first thing Tish did was a consultation that she used to choose which techniques would work best. The initial consultation gave Tish the information she needed to design the model’s maintenance routine also. Choosing a professional hairstylist that is proficient in the hairstyles you’re interested in, that also possess that all-important artistic eye will get you to your perfect hairstyle in no time.
Tish Summers has earned a reputation as a leader in the natural hairstyles industry. This is because, above all else, Tish gets results. Along with a stunning locks updo hairstyle, Tish’s model shown in these images has seen phenomenal hair growth. Tish says that in the last six months, her model has seen 10 to 12 inches of hair growth. That is the result of Tish Summer’s careful planning and diligent maintenance routine. When you’re ready to start your locks journey, stop by Shear Diva Designz at 4808 Ramsey St., Suite 104, in Fayetteville, NC. You can also give Tish a call at (910) 882-1579.
Apply These 5 Secret Techniques To Improve Your Locks Updo Hairstyle
We got expert advice to improve your locks updo hairstyle.
- Have a Moisturizing Program in Place
Keeping your hair and scalp moisturized is essential for hair growth.
- Give Your Hair Time to Get Thick at the Root Before You Re-Twist the Hair
Extend the intervals when you re-twist your hair to give it time to grow thick at the roots.
- Use A Combination of Locks Techniques
Using multiple locks techniques in your hairstyle will give you more versatility while wearing your locks.
- Stay Away from Cotton and Use Argon Oils and a Silk Wrap
Cotton could leave residue in your locks. It’s also sucks out the moisture that is essential for your locks to stay healthy.
- Use a Professional Hairstylist
Professional hairstylist will analyze your hair and put you on a path to healthy hair growth,
- Savvy, Smart, Sexy, Natural Locks Hairstyle You Need to SeeThis natural locks hairstyle was created with the busy professional in mind. The look is designed to look great and be low maintenance also.
- Salon Secrets to the Perfect Natural Locks Retwist HairstyleNatural locks need to be retwisted at regular intervals. This natural locks retwist hairstyle accentuates the model’s facial features.
- Best Barrel Twist Locks Updo Hairstyle You Will See This YearBarrel twist locks updo hairstyles are a great way to spice up your daily locks hairstyle. This updo is also a perfect reconstructive style.
- Fall in Love With This Long Natural Hair Locks HairstyleThis beautiful natural hair locks hairstyle features the model’s own hair. This hairstyle is a result of a healthy maintenance routine.
- Apply These 5 Secret Techniques To Improve Your Locks Updo HairstyleWe dig deep into the artistry of locks with professional hairstylist Tish Summers looking for secrets to improve your locks updo hairstyle.
- Fall in Love With This Funky Barrel Twist Loc Updo HairstyleThis barrel twist loc updo hairstyle features a chignon bun and green color accents. This is a great style for mature locs.
- The Secret to a Sexy, Smart, Savvy Men’s Locs HairstyleThis men’s locs hairstyle is perfect for everyday wear or an elegant function. The locs look intricate while presenting a fun atmosphere.
- Revolutionize Your Style With These Chocolate Ombre Goddess LocsThese chocolate ombre goddess locs feature three shades of brown and caramel. The locs were hand made by Tish Summers in Fayetteville, NC.
- How to Make Your Long Goddess Locs Look Like a Million BucksLong goddess locs hairstyles are a beautiful protective hairstyle for Black women. Goddess locs are a tribute to our history.