Today’s Black hairstyles are continuing to focus on the natural hair movement that took hold a few years ago. More and more Black women are embracing their natural hair and are looking for healthy alternatives to the types of chemicals used in some hair products also. One such alternative is the silk press. Silk press hairstyles have been a mainstay in our culture since the days of the hot comb and Madame CJ Walker. Like everything else associated with this industry, silk press hairstyles have evolved quite a bit over the years, thanks to the technical skills and artistic eye of the professional hairstylists who push fashion boundaries every day. One such innovator is Mr. Cameron Jackson from Corey Paul’s Hair Studio in Winston-Salem, NC. Cameron created an elegant look that gives his model a range of options with this modern silk press with color hairstyle also.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Soft Silk Press With Color Hairstyle
The look features an asymmetric haircut with a peek-a-boo bang, indigo hair color additions, and soft curls in the back. Cameron wanted to create a look that was stunning to the eye, easy to maintain and gave his model some versatility as she wore the style also. This silk press with color checks all of those boxes.
We sat down with Cameron to get a few insider tips that you can use to punch up your next silk press with color hairstyle. These are his 5 secret techniques to improve your silk press with color:
- OMG! The Best Black Hairstyles Ever!
- Wow!!! Over 800 Short Hairstyles for Black Women
- Wow!!! 290 Cute Natural Hairstyles from Professional Salons Near You
01. Enjoy a Shampoo and Deep Conditioner Beforehand
Cameron stresses the importance of a good deep conditioning shampoo beforehand. In most cases, natural hair will require more moisture than relaxed hair. Your shampoo and conditioner will infuse moisture and nutrients into your hair before the process begins. This will help to keep your hair healthy and help prevent dry scalp.
02. Use A Good Blow Dryer Before Your Silk Press With Color
After the shampoo and conditioner, it’s imperative that the roots are completely dry in order for your silk press with color to produce the desired look. Make sure that you’re using a good blow dryer that creates a lot of heat in order to make sure you get your hair blown out correctly before the silk press begins.
03. Apply Color Using Hair Additions
Cameron’s model was apprehensive about trying a new color also. She wanted the look, she just wasn’t sure about the commitment of waiting for her color to grow out. Cameron gave her an alternative that allowed her to get the best of both worlds by applying the hair color using hair additions rather than directly onto her hair. This way she could experience the look without the commitment.
Cameron created a custom color process to create these deep indigo undertones. The color was applied to pre-lightened human hair pieces beforehand. After Cameron perfectly formulated the perfect shade of blue for his model, the human hair additions were applied using a professional adhesive.
04. Define the Silk Press With Color With a Precision Haircut
The model’s natural features are prominently showcased thanks to an asymmetrical haircut with a peek-a-boo bang from Cameron Jackson. The cut creates diagonal lines that accentuate the model’s eyes and cheek bones. The cut also highlights the straight, smooth texture of the silk press with color.
05. Avoid Heat to Maintain Your Natural Curl Pattern
One of the biggest mistakes natural hair clients can make is applying too much heat to their hair and removing their natural curl pattern. Cameron says that your hair holds memory and too much heat will relax your curl pattern. After your hair is properly styled, Cameron suggests keeping your hair away from heat to make your natural curls last longer.
Bonus! Taking Care of Your Silk Press With Color at Home
Cameron Jackson created the stunning silk press with color hairstyle you see in these images. His goal was to create a stunning ensemble for his model that would look great, give her styling options, and be easy to maintain. Cameron achieved each of these, including the easy maintenance. In order to keep this silk press with color hairstyle looking salon fresh, Cameron suggests applying a nightly serum and wrapping your hair. This will continue to infuse the moisture that natural hair craves for. Following this simple maintenance routine should keep this silk press with color looking sharp for about a week.
Introducing Cameron Jackson From Corey Paul’s Hair Studio in Winston-Salem, NC
Cameron Jackson is a professional hairstylist located at Corey Paul’s Hair Studio in Winston-Salem, NC. Cameron has a diverse clientele that appreciates his attention to detail and his artistic eye. Feel free to stop by the salon located at 636 Hanes Mall Blvd. or give Cameron a call at (336) 765-9007. Talk to Cameron about your hair care needs and let him create a program that will get you to your goals.
- You Must See This Honey Blonde Hair Color for Black WomenThis striking honey blonde hair color for Black women hairstyle was completed on the model’s natural hair. The color lays over soft curls.
- Fall in Love With This Middle Part Silk Press HairstyleProfessional hairstylist Reanee McManus created this middle part silk press hairstyle. The look features sleek lines without harsh chemicals.
- Savvy, Smart, Sexy, Natural Locks Hairstyle You Need to SeeThis natural locks hairstyle was created with the busy professional in mind. The look is designed to look great and be low maintenance also.
- Fall in Love With This Long Natural Hair Locks HairstyleThis beautiful natural hair locks hairstyle features the model’s own hair. This hairstyle is a result of a healthy maintenance routine.
- One of the Best Natural Hair Color Ideas for African American WomenThis long curly look is one of the hottest natural hair color ideas for African American women. This hairstyle features a custom color.
- Fall in Love With This Two-Strand Twists Black HairstyleTwo-strand twists are an easy way to create an elegant black hairstyle that will look great and add to the health of your hair also.
- Want to Make Relaxer Free Hairstyles With Color Rock? Read ThisRelaxer free hairstyles with color are an exciting trend in black hairstyles. We put together tips on enhancing and caring for the hairstyle.
- 8 of the Hottest Natural Hairstyles in 2021We asked natural hairstyle icon Kandice Strong from kandiekurls.com to help us find the hottest natural hairstyles in 2021.
- Savvy Smart Sexy Short Locks Updo Hairstyle You Will LoveThis short locks updo hairstyle is great for anyone on the newer side of their locks journey. The hair is secured in the back with a crossover tescnique.